We installed a Mattermost server. Here working groups can organize their work flow, documents, meetings and the like. Each team admin in mattermost can create accounts for new team members.
LaTeX publication collaboration:
- git, for example with git.rwth-aachen.de or git-ce.rqth-aachen.de (further information)
- same-time file edits lead to interesting tedious merges
- look into .gitignore: www.gitignore.io to not include temporary latex files
- Dropbox or Sciebo (Dropbox replacement recommended by RWTH)
- Sciebo has no backup infrastructure https://www.sciebo.de/en/help/security.html#a1_3, thanks Robert Harlander for the comment.
- Neither Sciebo nor Dropbox are "real" backup services
- same-time access to files leads to generation of conflict files
- there are commercial online services that allow for real-time collaboration in the same document
- Overleaf / ShareLaTeX just merged together. They are web browser based and offer latex same-time editing
- RWTH Aachen may in the future offer some similar service or host an existing collaboration service on its own. We will update you if that happens.
- If you have money to spare and enjoy this form of collaboration, maybe this is already worth looking into.